The Lost Art of Letters


Have you ever taken the time to sit and fill a card with thoughts from your life that will brighten the day of any friend who receives it? Letter writing has become a lost art few people indulge in anymore, and handwritten letters are becoming a precious commodity in this day of texts, emails, and Facebook messages.


When I receive a note from a friend it brings such simple pleasure to my day! I love seeing the styles of handwriting unique to each person who writes me, and I love knowing they took time out of their day to write me. It sure makes me feel special!


So why should you take time to write letters when it's so much faster to do things electronically? Allow me to share a few reasons that might convince you of its value!


First, a letter is a thousand times more personal than an email! A letter is tangible. It is something we can hold onto; that we can fold and unfold as we read and reread every word. It is a way to communicate love and affection that means something more than a short text or email. Each greeting and closing can help to define the relationship with whoever you are writing. Plus, on the practical side, it also gives you a place to practice your handwriting and make sure it stays at least somewhat legible. :)


Second, letters take time and attention to write. A well written letter can often take me close to an hour to write (but it doesn't always - for those of you who think you would never have time for this, you can jot down a quick note that still has great value in about 15 minutes)! Because of the time and attention needed to write letters, this gives them great value in the eye of the receiver. The fact that you would take time out of your day to write them - pretty priceless.


Third, there are so many ways to customize letters that you just can't do with texts or emails, no matter how many emojis you use. Letter writing gives you the fun of choosing different types of stationary. Or, you can go all-out with using different pens and ink, practicing your hand lettering and calligraphy skills on artistic parchment paper, and sealing your letters with wax seals! I think you could say customizing letters is definitely an artistic hobby of mine, and it can easily becomes a fun pastime for you as well!



Finally, in this girl's opinion, letter writing is just archaic enough to be cool. While some may think letter writing is a quirky, eccentric sort of pastime, I think there is a grand sophistication to it. I think of great letter writers of the past... C.S. Lewis, John Quincy Adams, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan... And I smile when I think that they used to sit at a desk and write to their family and friends just as I now do. Letter writing is a way to connect with the past.

Letter writing gives you a way to cultivate true friendships through authentic communication. It is a simple pleasure that will bring great joy to others. So what do you think? Will you join me in reviving this lost art? Will you help to keep it alive and well?



This is one of my favorite hand lettered notecards!


No comments:

Post a Comment