A Woolen Blanket


I'm curled up with a wonderfully warm and fuzzy woolen blanket. I recently acquired it at a local Christmas Market, where many of the vendors are from Germany, Russia or Scandinavia. I instantly fell in love with the blanket because of the vibrant colors, and the idea that someone cared enough to spend hours hand weaving it on a loom. Handcrafted things are always so inspiring to me, and I love to surround myself with them at home.

Now where in the world am I going with this? Am I going to write an entire blog post about some wool blanket I picked up at a market? No, don't worry. I'm not that insanely in love with simple things. But that simple blanket did bring to mind the idea of time.

The person who made my blanket obviously put a lot of time into it, and they created something that will last a lifetime. In comparison, what do I spend my time doing? Will I make things that last a lifetime? Not only physical things, but will I make choices and use principals in my life that will make a legacy in lifestyle for my friends/family, and even children and grandchildren to follow?

During the business of the holiday season, please remember to do things that really matter, and will have a lasting impact on your life and the lives of those around you. It's easy to get caught up doing a lot of good things during this time that will actually distract you from the real reason of the Christmas season.


With all the Christmas activities at church and holiday dinners and parties, etc. it's easy to get burnt out. Don't let this happen to you! Spend your time wisely.

Remember to simplify your holiday season! Set aside time to spend with family relaxing, and work on getting to know them better. Your relationships with your family should be the most important relationships in your life next to your relationship with God.

Hand in hand with making time to spend with your family, make time to spend with God. His birth is what we are celebrating at Christmas! It makes sense that your relationship with him should grow and mature during this time, not get put on the back burner because you're too busy with other things. 
If it helps you, think of my crazy wool blanket illustration as you go through this holiday season! Remember to use your time to create things of lasting value, like a better relationship with God, a good work ethic by diligence at work, and memories with your family, to name just a few.

Boy do I need these reminders just like everyone else! Time is so important, and should probably be considered one of our most precious possessions, although we often don't think of it in that way. I hope during this time I can keep my focus on the right things and use my time wisely, and I hope that you can do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment