A Simple Blessing


Weddings are such a beautiful thing. Being able to see two people pledge their lives to one another is so wonderful, especially if you are personal friends with those people. This weekend I had the opportunity of doing just that, but even more, I had the opportunity of spending the entire weekend with their families!

What made the gathering for the wedding even more enjoyable was the simple fact that the bride's family is Russian. Since I study cross-cultural studies in school, this was something that was really exciting to me. I wasn't sure if things would be awkward when my family and I arrived because we didn't know very many people, but the open friendliness with which we were greeted quickly put those fears aside.

It was amazing to me how quickly I was able to bond with Angelina's family, and after just a few minutes it felt like we had known each other for years! They were more than willing to answer any questions that I had, and seemed to enjoy sharing their history and heritage. (and by the way, Russians sure know how to make amazing tea!!! =)

Over a huge spread for the rehearsal dinner we were able to become better acquainted with part of the family, and share our stories of life. The three brothers who we spent most of our time talking with kept me laughing with their great sense of humor, and made me feel like part of the family with their teasing.

We also had the lovely experience of staying with one of Angelina's uncles and his family, which was a real treat. When we arrived at their house it was late in the evening after the rehearsal dinner, but the family was still bright and chipper when they greeted us. The three kids were so much fun, always ready to tell me something new about their house, or something they learned at school (I was so impressed that their oldest boy who is only 8, is working on learning his third language!).

Another thing that I love about staying with them, was the way that they always gathered around the table with delicious comfort food always at the ready. These new friends really know how to simply relax around the table, as evidenced by the tea and Russian sweet cakes that we snacked on well into the early hours of the morning. It was truly a wonderful experience that I would not have passed up for the world!

As I talked with the family, I sat back and thought about how wonderful the whole weekend was turning out to be. I came expecting to enjoy a beautiful wedding, and possible meet some new friends, and I left being a part of a new family instead!!! The Lord truly does bless us continually, and he does so above and beyond what we could ever ask for!

I'm so thankful He allowed me to meet these new brothers and sisters in Christ, and I look forward to getting to know them better as the years go on. This weekend reminded me of the tremendous value there is in simply spending time with people building friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment