Time to Relax

Part of a simplified lifestyle is knowing when to take time to relax. This seems like a pretty obvious point, but most people don't realize that you can live a simplified lifestyle and still be busy with daily activities.

Relaxing can take many different forms, but two of my favorite relaxing activities are sewing, and reading a good book. If I could do those two things for a little while every day, I would be one happy camper! Even better would be curling up with something I've sewn while I'm reading, like this quilt that my mom and I recently finished...



I worked on piecing it together for about 3 months this summer (even taking it with me while visiting my grandma), but unfortunately I didn't have time to quilt it before coming to back to school.

Luckily, my amazing mom surprised me by having it quilted when I came home one weekend in October! What a blessing! I love having it on my bed at school, and I love the memories it brings back of the times we spent working on it together.

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes, from a wonderful book called, "An Old Fashioned Girl" by Louisa May Alcott. It describes so well why I love to do something as simple as sewing.

"If work baskets were gifted with powers of speech, they could tell stories more true and tender than any we read. For women often sew the tragedy or comedy of life into their work as they sit, apparently safe and serene at home, yet thinking deeply, living whole heart histories and praying fervent prayer while they embroider pretty trifles or do the weekly mending."

I'm sharing the story of making a quilt with you because I want you to see the importance of taking time to relax. When you think there's no way you can get everything done in a day, just take a few minutes to do whatever relaxes you, and I think you'll find that you are rejuvenated for the rest of the day!

Remember, it's the simple things in life that are truly important. So please, take the time to relax - to enjoy the simple things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment